The IT jobs market is HOT right now! With lots of jobs and not enough candidates, it’s more important than ever that you choose the right IT recruiter for you.
If you’re looking for the ideal IT recruiter for your company but feel overwhelmed with the number of recruitment agencies out there, keep reading. From characteristics of a good recruiter, to ways of finding the best fit for you, here’s a go to guide:
Consider your company needs
What are you recruiting for? And how do you make sure you choose the best agency for you? Understanding your company needs is key when looking for your IT recruitment agency of choice. Therefore, you should look to the agencies who specialise in IT and the specialist role you are looking to recruit. Agencies that are true specialists will have a stronger network in their sector than a ‘one size fits all’ recruiter.
Consider your budget
It goes without saying that it is imperative that you take your recruitment budget into consideration. However, many recruiters work to different percentages. Some will even reduce their rates for multiple roles or exclusivity. So remember to ask that question to help ensure that you find a recruiter who’s within your reach financially.
Qualities of your ideal IT recruiter
- Specialised knowledge: Are you recruiting for a specialised area of business? Say you’re looking for a Systems Analyst who has the ability to use all the latest technologies and methodologies. It makes sense to collaborate with a specialised recruiter, who understands the ins and outs of what it takes to succeed in this role. Some recruiters will have even worked in their chosen specialism themselves.
- Shared values and working styles: It is crucial that you work with a recruiter who understands and even shares your values and ways of working. Collaborating with a recruiter should make your job easier and take away any stress. This is equally important when it comes to considering your candidate experience. A recruiter is the first point of contact for candidates in your application process. Make sure you are happy for them to represent you.
- Experience: Another way to understand whether a recruiter is ideal for your business is to take their previous experience into consideration. Have they worked on this area previously? Do they regularly work on senior placements? What success stories can they share with you. With the market as it is at the moment, it’s really important to partner with an experienced IT recruiter.
- Quality of database and network: You’ve probably heard it before. All an agency does is advertise a vacancy and screen the responses. Then they charge a fortune to do so! And yes, for some recruiters this probably does happen. However, by partnering with a company who has been building a solid database over the last 10 years or more is worth its weight in gold. A recruiters database and network is where your ideal candidates are hiding. They are not waiting to see an advert on a job board. The best candidates are the passive candidates. Those that can be attracted to your company with a unique opportunity. This is where an experienced recruiter stands heads and shoulders above the rest. You want the best candidates IN the market, not the best ON the market.
How to find your ideal IT recruiter
Now you’ve considered your recruitment goals and the type of recruiter you need; it’s time to narrow down your search. But how?
- Look on LinkedIn: And we don’t just mean look for recruiters. Look in the jobs section and see which recruiters are advertising similar roles. Take a look on the company website too. Whilst this won’t tell you how successful they are at filling them, it’s a good place to start. You know that a company has trusted them to recruit that role. Therefore, it’s an easy way of narrowing down your search.
- Ask for testimonials: By looking at testimonials, you will gain an understanding of the type of companies’ the recruiter has worked with. Additionally, you’ll gauge how a recruiter has been perceived by candidates depending on their level of support. Sometimes this information will be on an individuals LinkedIn profile too.
- Have a conversation: A golden oldie – having a conversation. Sometimes you can gauge a recruiter’s passion simply through a phone call. By talking to a recruiter, it gives you a chance to ask how they work. Spend the time you need with the recruiter to make sure that they understand all your requirements clearly. You can usually rate a recruiter on the questions they as you!
If you’re searching for specialist IT recruiters we can help. Our personal experience along with our recruitment expertise makes us stand out in the market. Contact our team today!